Which is more likely—for the women who come into your clinic to have a positive pregnancy test or a Sexually Transmitted Disease (STD*) or Sexually Transmitted Infection (STI*)?
Which is more serious?
While a pregnancy can significantly altar your life, it is not likely to kill you. The longer you leave an STD untreated the more life-threatening it becomes.
Sparrow Solutions Group sees the value in promoting the life-affirming message to those we serve that any sexual contact puts patients at risk: they need to know if they have an STD.
Many STDs are asymptomatic, yet the people who have them continue to spread these diseases and infections without ever having any symptoms. Unfortunately, routine screening programs are not widespread, and social stigma and lack of public awareness concerning STDs often inhibits frank discussion between health care providers and patients about STDs risk and the need for testing.
- Enhance current services with sexual risk avoidance message
- Prevent catastrophic and life-threatening risks to women considering abortions
- Further establish PMC credibility as a medical clinic
The Center for Disease Control (CDC) estimates that nearly 20 million new sexually transmitted infections occur every year in this country. Each infection is a potential threat to an individual’s immediate and long-term health and well-being, and can lead to severe reproductive complications.
Sparrow Solutions Group recognizes the unique opportunity the PMC has in meeting a woman’s reproductive health care needs for critical information before making decisions that can have irreversible consequences.
For example, if a woman has a sexually transmitted infection, and then has a surgical abortion or has failed medical abortion, (which will result in a surgical abortion), particularly chlamydia or gonorrhea, she’s at risk of developing a pelvic inflammatory infection. Therefore it is critical for her to be tested prior to an abortion.
Additionally, a woman with a negative pregnancy test may have a positive STD test, which may impact her future relationship decisions as she learns the value of sexual risk avoidance.
*While Sparrow Solutions Group recognizes that both the terms STD and STI are used, for the purpose of simplicity, only STD will be used for this document.
Sparrow trains the entire PMC team on the incorporation of STD Services as team members learn basics of STDs, messaging, state recommendations, and how to educate the patient on the necessity of such testing through this on-site 3-day training. The course will equip PMC to enhance current services including educating team members with language on the value of sexual risk avoidance from a reproductive health perspective, and why it is critical for patients to know if they have an infection if they are considering abortion.
Scope of Service:
1) Three day training, possibly customized to fewer depending on prior professional STI training and experience
a) Two Sparrow consultants, including one nurse practitioner who specializes in STD testing and training in the PMC setting
b) Creation of organization timeline for practical implementation of STD testing
2) Distance Consultation: Up to 3 follow-up consultations
- Participants will discuss the most current CDC STD Treatment Guidelines.
- Participants will list the major STDs and testing recommendations for adolescents and special populations.
- Participants will discuss STD messaging with community.
- Participants will discuss patient flow.
- Participants will discuss prevention, education, and counseling of persons at risk for STDs
- Participants will learn the connection between STDs and the patient considering abortion.
- Participants will describe the importance of STD testing the negative pregnancy test patient.
- Participants will learn effective diagnosis, treatment, and counseling skills of infected persons.
- Participants will identify and evaluate pertinent treatment and counseling of sex partner(s) of persons who are infected with a STD.
- Participants will discuss how STD’s can impact future fertility, reproductive health, and career goals
- Participants will discuss how to obtain a detailed sexual history with respect, compassion, and non-judgmental attitudes.
- Participants will discuss risk reduction strategies and prevention message.CertificatesEach STI/STD Training student will receive a certificate of completion.
The materials will be discussed with consultant after training is scheduled and are included in the fee set forth below. Pre-reading will be assigned.
1) 10 Course manuals (additional manuals can be purchased.)
2) 10 Course tests
The following fees for STD Training training:
1) Participating Clinic
a) STD Training training fee of $6,300.00 includes:
- Training for your entire team
- 10 manuals included, extra manuals must be purchased
- Training at clinic’s location with training tailored to clinic’s specific needs
b) A $3,100 deposit is required to schedule training
2) Expenses are invoiced separately:
a) Air fare for training staff
b) Accommodations for training staff
c) Rental car for training staff
d) Per Diem for training staff
We wish to provide quality training to all medical clinics that desire to work with our team. We are happy to discuss customizable options for the training and pricing. Please call 702-556-1101, if you have any questions or concerns regarding our services.